UMMC Icare

Man Convicted of Raping Boyle Heights Woman After Breaking Into Her Home Armed With Machete

34.049045
-118.217966

Related stories

Man Charged With Raping Woman in Boyle Heights Home While Armed With Machete; Other Victims Sought The victim was unaware of Munoz’s intrusion until he was standing at the foot of her bed, police said. He had forced her living room window open and removed all his clothing, except underwear, before entering the victim’s bedroom, according to a Los Angeles Police Department press release. A 23-year-old man was found guilty Thursday of raping a Boyle Heights woman last year, as well as five other charges, officials said. After assaulting her he got dressed, grabbed the machete from where he left it on the floor and left, the DA’s office said. Munoz is scheduled to be sentenced Feb. A month before that incident, Munoz had also attempted to rape a 34-year-old woman while she was sitting in her car across the street from the other victim’s home, prosecutors said. Prosecutors said he armed himself with a machete and broke into the victim’s home on the 1800 block of Pennsylvania Avenue shortly after midnight on May 15, 2015, proceeding to sexually assault the 30-year-old woman. Manuel Larios Munoz is shown in a booking photo released by LAPD upon his arrest in May 2015. Manuel Larios Munoz was convicted of one count each forcible rape, forcible oral copulation, sexual penetration by foreign object, first-degree residential burglary, person present and assault, according to a statement from the Los Angeles County District Attorney. Jurors deliberated more than a day before reaching a guilty verdict. 7 and will face a maximum sentence of 96 years to life in prison.

Accused Serial Killer Convicted of Killing 4 Women in Orange County

15, 2016, was convicted of killing four women in Santa Ana and Anaheim. Click here to read the full story on LATimes.com. Steven Dean Gordon, seen representing himself in court on Dec. (Credit: Mark Boster / Los Angeles Times)

×
Accused Serial Killer Convicted of Killing 4 Women in Orange County

Steven Dean Gordon, seen representing himself in court on Dec. 33.745573
-117.867834

Related stories

Closing Arguments Held in Trial of Accused OC Serial Killer
Opening Statements Begin in Trial Against Accused Serial Killer Connected to Deaths of 4 Women in Orange County
Accused Orange County Serial Killers Indicted in Killings of Four Women 15, 2016, was convicted of killing four women in Santa Ana and Anaheim. Jurors in Orange County Superior Court deliberated about an hour before finding Steven Dean Gordon, 47, guilty of charges that may send him to death row. (Credit: Mark Boster / Los Angeles Times)

A homeless sex offender was convicted Thursday of murdering four women who were working the prostitution corridors of Anaheim and Santa Ana in late 2013 and early 2014. The jurors will gather again next week to hear the penalty phase of the trial, to decide whether Gordon should be executed or spend the rest of his life in prison. As the trial approached, Gordon fired his public defender and insisted on representing himself. He used the opportunity to harangue his former parole and probation officers, and to rail against his co-defendant.

Assistant Manager of Virginia Hardee’s Arrested in Connection With Armed Robbery at Own Restaurant

Shaquona Pettway, 28, is accused of robbing the Hardee’s location where she worked as assistant manager, according to Virginia police. (Credit: WTVR)
Officers responded just after 1:30 a.m. According to a preliminary investigation, police believe the man entered the Hardee’s, brandished a handgun and demanded money from the employees. Pettaway has been charged with robbery, conspiracy to commit robbery, eluding, and possession of marijuana. During Pettway’s arrest, officers said they recovered a large portion of the stolen money. Police are still looking for him as of Thursday afternoon. to the Hardee’s in Hopewell after receiving a report of an armed robbery. Police believe the other suspect, described as an armed man, ran from the car before the police chase began. The driver, identified by police as Hardee’s employee Shaquona Pettway, led officers on a seven-mile chase, police said. Officers took her into custody without incident. No one was harmed during the incident. The assistant manager of a Virginia Hardee’s was arrested for allegedly robbing her own restaurant early Thursday morning, KTLA sister station WTVR reported. 37.304315
-77.287200 As officers arrived, they saw a vehicle speeding away from the scene. After officers stopped the car, Pettway, 28, tried to run, police said, but a Hopewell police K-9 unit quickly apprehended her.

Winter Storm Expected to Dump 2 to 4 Feet of Snow on Sierra Nevada

Isolated locations of the mountain range could see 6 feet of snow, the National Weather Service said. On Thursday, snow was falling at Mammoth Mountain, where a representative for the resort said skiers and snowboarders could expect “some impressive totals” by Friday morning. 37.648546
-118.972079

Related stories

Powerful Storm System to Bring Potentially Heavy Rain to Southern California Thursday and Friday
NorCal Drought Conditions Have Dramatically Improved While SoCal Remains Bone Dry
Strong Winds, Rain to Sweep Across SoCal Thursday Into Friday; Flash-Flood Watches Issued 15, 2016. By noon, 5 to 7 inches had already fallen on the mountain. (Credit: Mammoth Mountain)
Two to four feet of snow are expected at elevations over 8,000 feet from north of Yosemite National Park down into Kern County. With the winter storm moving through, the Mono County Tourism board posted video on Facebook of ice washing up noisily on the shore of Lundy Lake, about 30 miles north of Mammoth Lakes. In Southern California, the Grapevine could see snow, and snow levels could down to 3,500 feet by Friday night. Snow falls at Mammoth Mountain on Dec. With rain and heavy winds expected to sweep across Southern California, the Sierra Nevada is getting pounded by a winter storm late this week.

Improv at the Impro Theatre

Please enable Javascript to watch this video

‘Proud Dad’ Shares Photo of Sons Helping Man in Wheelchair Shovel Snow in Milwaukee

“Proud dad moment. On Sunday, Daniel Medina posted the photo on Facebook. 43.038902
-87.906474 That’s when the boys asked him to pull over so they could help. The picture shows his two sons, ages 6 and 10, helping a neighbor shovel snow. Medina and his sons were leaving a local mall when they spotted the man shoveling snow, TODAY reports. A father’s photo of his two sons helping a disabled man shovel snow in Milwaukee is going viral. We’re driving down 60th st near Morgan and my two sons aged 10 and 6 asked me to pull over because they just seen a guy in a wheel chair trying to shovel his corner lot and they wanted to help,” Medina said in the post.

Surveillance Video Released in East Hollywood Hit-and-Run That Killed 70-Year-Old Woman Using Walker

Police said it was unique: a two-tone, four-door vehicle that was dark on top and light on the bottom. Gabriela Futsi is shown in a photo held by her daughter at a news conference on Dec. 26. On Thursday, police and city officials stood with Futsi’s daughter to ask for the public’s help solving the case. City Councilman Mitch O’Farrell  addressed Futsi’s killer. 26, 2016, is shown in video released by LAPD. It may have front-end damage. Saturday, Nov. A $50,000 reward is being offered for information leading to a conviction. 15, 2016. (Credit: KTLA)
Gabriela Futsi was on her way, using her walker to cross Fountain Avenue in an unmarked but legal crosswalk near Kenmore Avenue, when she was struck about 9:30 p.m. The car didn’t slow down after striking Futsi, who was nearly across the road, the video shows. The vehicle that fatally struck Gabriela Futsi on Nov. Surveillance cameras from a nearby home recorded video of the vehicle that fled. “I ask you: How can you really live with yourself, knowing that by coming forward, you could give the family just a little bit of peace of mind. 34.095332
-118.297381 The fund had more than $14,000 of its $20,000 goal as of midday Thursday. Anyone with information is asked to call Detective Jose De Leon, Central Traffic Division, at 213-833-3713. A neighbor came to her aid, and she was taken to a hospital, where she died. They are waiting for you; they need you,” O’Farrell said. A GoFundMe page was set up by a friend to benefit the victim’s daughter and help her pay medical and burial expenses. Please enable Javascript to watch this video

Nearly three weeks after a 70-year-old East Hollywood woman was fatally struck by a hit-and-run driver, Los Angeles police have released surveillance video of the crash, and $50,000 reward is being offered in the case.

Surveillance Video Shows ‘Couponing’ Mother Spilled Drink on Shopper Before Alleged Attack at Memphis Grocery Store

Please enable Javascript to watch this video

Police have released surveillance video from an alleged attack at a Memphis, Tennessee, Kroger store that shows a different side of the story than that told by the alleged victim, KTLA sister station WREG reported Thursday. “When I turned to walk away, my hand hit the little thing and it spilled on him,” she told WREG. “And I said, ‘Oh, my bad,’ and I turned and went to go grab my cart and he grabbed me by the back of the head and smashed my face into the cart.”
The footage shows her hand didn’t appear to hit anything before the can’s contents were spilled on the man. “So I stumbled to get up and the floor was slippery because obviously when he hit me, my drink went everywhere.”
Wilson initially described what preceded the struggle to WREG Monday, admitting it took about 20 minutes for her to check out as she went through her sizable coupon collection. “Everything kind of went black for a minute and when I came to, I was on the ground,” Wilson said. They say he took off in a blue Ford F-150 truck. Megan Wilson says a man in line behind her attacked her because she was using coupons and her transaction was taking too long. “You know, justice.”
The Memphis Police Department is still looking for the man in that video. 35.149534
-90.048980

Related stories

‘Couponing’ Mother Says She Was Physically Attacked Inside Memphis Market for Holding Up Checkout Line And then I usually also have a duffel bag or a large purse-type bag that I carry full inserts and things like that in.”
She says the man began harassing her before the alleged attack because he was sick of waiting. Police say Wilson had a small scratch on her forehead and refused medical treatment, but she told WREG she has a possible cracked rib, a hip strain, bruises and a knot on her head. The man can be seen lunging at Wilson, but what happens next is still unclear because the video doesn’t show that angle. Wilson said it was accidental. “I want them to be aware and I want them to help keep their customers safe and I want this man to pay for what he did,” she said. “I do carry a binder with a filing system in it. Nobody has time for this,'” she said. WREG reached out to Wilson Wednesday for comment after the surveillance video was released, but the station hasn’t heard back yet. Now, she wants Kroger to step up and take action. But newly released surveillance footage from the incident, which happened last Friday night, shows Wilson spilled her drink on the man behind her as she turned to leave. “He started shouting, ‘Come on, there’s other people out here.

Man Fatally Struck by Vehicle After Apparently Falling Out of NoHo Bar During Fight With Guard: LAPD

Click here to read the full story on LATimes.com. The man, who was believed to be drunk, and security worker Ernest Reyes got into a struggle, she said. 34.187044
-118.381256 in the 6300 block of Lankershim Boulevard just after the bar was preparing to close for the night, said Officer Liliana Preciado, a spokeswoman for the Los Angeles Police Department. She did not know the name of the bar. A dark-colored vehicle with dark-tinted windows being driven in the area struck the man, then sped away, Preciado said. A man was fatally struck by a vehicle early Thursday after he fell into the road during a brawl with a security worker outside a North Hollywood bar, police said. The fight occurred about 1:45 a.m. At some point, the man fell into the street.

Closing Arguments Held in Trial of Accused OC Serial Killer

Please enable Javascript to watch this video

Closing arguments began Thursday in Santa Ana in the murder trial of accused killer Steven Dean Gordon. Killings Had Close Association, Records Show 15, 2016. Chip Yost reports from Santa Ana for the KTLA 5 News at 1 on Dec. 33.745573
-117.867834

Related stories

Opening Statements Begin in Trial Against Accused Serial Killer Connected to Deaths of 4 Women in Orange County
Accused Orange County Serial Killers Indicted in Killings of Four Women
2 Men Accused in O.C.

Annual Christmas Party for Children Hosted by ‘Sweet’ Alice Harris Held in Watts

Please enable Javascript to watch this video

An annual Christmas party hosted by “Sweet” Alice Harris was held in Watts Thursday, where the attendees received gifts including bicycles. Erin Myers reports from Watts for the KTLA 5 News at 1 on Dec. 15, 2016.

1 Stabbed in Neck on Expo Line in Downtown Santa Monica

(Credit: Metro.net)

×
1 Stabbed in Neck on Expo Line in Downtown Santa Monica

A Metro train is seen approaching Downtown Santa Monica on July 29, 2015. The victim was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries and the suspect ran away from the area. 34.019454
-118.491191 KTLA’s Irving Last contributed to this story. One side of the platform is closed during the investigation and deputies are talking to witnesses to get a description of the suspect, officials said. The incident was reported about 1:30 p.m. as the train was pulling into the downtown station at 402 Colorado Ave., Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department transit officials said. (Credit: Metro.net)

A person was stabbed in the neck on an Expo Line train in downtown Santa Monica Thursday afternoon and officials were searching for the suspect. Responding deputies learned that a fight broke out on the train and a man pulled out a “sharp object” and stabbed the victim in the neck, said Ramon Montenegro, a spokesman for the sheriff’s department transit policing division. A Metro train is seen approaching Downtown Santa Monica on July 29, 2015.

Craig Sager, Longtime Sideline Reporter, Dies at 65

He is survived by his wife, Stacy, and five children: Kacy, Craig Jr., Krista, Riley and Ryan. May his good work continue as his legacy. Craig Sager, the longtime Turner Sports sideline reporter best known for his colorful — and at times fluorescent — wardrobe, has passed away after battling acute myeloid leukemia, the network said. Our thoughts and prayers are with Craig’s wife, Stacy, and the entire Sager family during this difficult time. Check back for updates on this developing story. What a valiant and inspirational fight. (Credit: Christian Petersen/Getty Images)
Turner President David Levy issued the following statement regarding the passing of Sager:
“Craig Sager was a beloved member of the Turner family for more than three decades and he has been a true inspiration to all of us. pic.twitter.com/PybrwHSNDh
— TurnerSportsPR (@TurnerSportsPR) December 15, 2016

Rest In Peace, Craig Sager. We will forever be Sager Strong.”
Sager died just days after he was inducted into the Sports Broadcasting Hall of Fame. He was 65. His incredible talent, tireless work ethic and commitment to his craft took him all over the world covering sports. Prayers for all loved Craig. — Hannah Storm (@HannahStormESPN) December 15, 2016

  “While he will be remembered fondly for his colorful attire and the TNT sideline interviews he conducted with NBA coaches and players, it’s the determination, grace and will to live he displayed during his battle with cancer that will be his lasting impact. There will never be another Craig Sager. TNT sports reporter Craig Sager walks on the court following game one of the NBA Western Conference Finals between the Oklahoma City Thunder and the Golden State Warriors at ORACLE Arena on May 16, 2016, in Oakland.

David Cassidy Talks New Christmas Album

Please enable Javascript to watch this video

The talented David Cassidy stopped by the KTLA Morning News to talk about his new Christmas album ‘A DC Christmas’ out now and available for purchase on David’s website. This segment aired on the KTLA 5 Morning News on December 15th, 2016.

Trump Tweets False Claim About Warnings of Russian Hacking

Trump himself had talked in September about accusations of Russian hacking, and again in October, after U.S. If Russia, or some other entity, was hacking, why did the White House wait so long to act? Why did they only complain after Hillary lost? intelligence officials publicly accused Russians of complicity in purloining emails from Democratic organizations and officials. (Credit: DON EMMERT/AFP/Getty Images)

×
Trump Tweets False Claim About Warnings of Russian Hacking

US President-elect Donald Trump speaks during the USA Thank You Tour December 9, 2016 in Grand Rapids, Michigan. — Donald J. (Credit: DON EMMERT/AFP/Getty Images)

Dawn had barely broken Thursday when Donald Trump again spread via Twitter something provably false: that the White House had not raised an alarm about Russian interference in the presidential election until after Hillary Clinton’s defeat. US President-elect Donald Trump speaks during the USA Thank You Tour December 9, 2016 in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 15, 2016

37.090240
-95.712891

Related stories

Trump’s Sons Involved in Interviewing, Vetting Cabinet Candidates
Judge Orders Trump to Sit for 7-Hour Deposition in Early January
Trump National Security Adviser Pick Michael Flynn Shared Classified Intel: Military Report In a separate tweet Thursday, Trump accused the media of working “so hard to make my move to the White House, as it pertains to my business, so complex, when actually it isn’t.”
Except it was Trump and his team who canceled a long-planned Thursday news conference to explain how he’d handle his business while in office — citing the complexity of his company’s operations as the reason for the delay. He talked about the hacking incessantly during the closing weeks of the campaign. Click here to read the full story on LATimes.com.