It’s the smoke that — you take a couple breaths of that — you don’t know what kind of chemicals are coming off the furniture or the carpet, whatever products are in the house,” said South Davis Metro Fire Department Chief Jeff Bassett. When fire crews arrived, neighbors rushed to them, saying they believed the couple was still inside. A couple more breaths of that turns to be fatal.”
KTLA’s Melissa Pamer contributed to this article. Investigators said the couple tried to use a fire extinguisher to put out the flames from an electrical fire coming from old Christmas lights on an artificial tree, KTSU reported. Officials said Melba Mecham, 74, and Gary Mecham, 77, died after trying to put out the fire, likely from smoke inhalation. Firefighters found the couple inside and brought them outside to medical crews, who immediately started CPR to try to save them. “Fire burns — it’s dangerous. The Mechams were overcome by smoke before firefighters arrived.
Faulty Christmas tree lights are likely to blame for a fire that killed a couple in their 70s near Salt Lake City, Utah, authorities there said Friday. Thursday, KTLA sister station KSTU reported. They later died at the hospital. The South Davis Metro Fire Department responded to a fire at a home in Woods Cross, north of Salt Lake City, about 10:30 p.m.