UMMC Icare

1 Dead, 12 Injured After Fiery Crash on 5 Freeway Near Griffith Park; All Southbound Lanes Closed

Southbound traffic is being diverted off the 134, while northbound vehicles are being directed off Colorado Boulevard, according to the CHP log. Several vehicles were engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived at the crash site. The crash remains under investigation, and a cause has yet to be determined. At least one of the vehicles spilled oil across the roadway, and a hazardous material team was at the scene cleaning up. Alternate routes to get around the affected stretch of the 5 included the 2, 118 and 134 freeways, according to Bejar. to reports of a fiery pileup on the southbound side, according to the California Highway Patrol. The crash scene spanned both sides of the freeway, with one vehicle beneath the smoldering big rig on the southbound-side of the road, while a pickup truck straddling the median was up against the semi, Sky5 footage showed. Multiple vehicles were involved in a fiery wreck on the 5 Freeway near Griffith Park on April 25, 2017. A car facing in the wrong direction was lodged under the back of the pickup on the northbound side. Amid cleanup efforts and the ongoing investigation, all southbound lanes were closed for an undetermined amount of time, and all but two of the lanes were shut down on the northbound side, CHP Officer Ryan Bejar said at the news conference. Shortly before 1 p.m., Fox said crews should be done mopping up after the spill between 30 to 40 minutes. The crash caused significant delays in both directions of the 5 Freeway, and authorities are encouraging motorists to avoid the area and take alternate routes to avoid the traffic congestion. CHP has issued a SigAlert for all southbound lanes of the 5 Freeway, just north of Colorado Boulevard. (Credit: KTLA)
The big rig, which CHP officials said had been loaded with milk, was completely destroyed in the flames. A triage was set up at the crash site, where multiple people could be seen receiving treatment shortly before 11:30 a.m., aerial video from Sky5 showed. A dog was also killed in the fiery collision. A multivehicle crash occurred on the 5 Freeway in the Los Feliz area on April 25, 2017. When first responders arrived, they found that at least six vehicles — including two commercial trucks — were involved in the collision, said Andy Fox of the Los Angeles Fire Department. The crash ignited a large explosion, sending plumes of thick, black smoke into the air that was visible for miles. A total of 12 patients were treated: one person was rushed to a hospital in critical condition; nine others sustained minor injuries and were also transported. One person was pronounced dead at the scene, Fox said at an early afternoon news conference. Please enable Javascript to watch this video

One person has died and 12 others were injured following a fiery multivehicle collision on the 5 Freeway near Griffith Park that prompted the full closure of southbound lanes Tuesday, officials said. The other commercial vehicle involved, a tanker truck, collided with the big rig and was badly damaged, aerial footage showed. Bejar was unsure how long the lanes would closed, but estimated the shut down could last up to four hours. Meanwhile, cleanup could take hours, as video from the scene showed the charred wreckage and debris from the crash stretching across both sides of the roadway. A total of 75 firefighters from the Los Angeles, Burbank and Glendale fire departments responded to the scene and extinguished the flames, according to Fox. (Credit: KTLA)
Several agencies responded to the Golden State Freeway near Los Feliz Boulevard just before 11 a.m. Check back for updates on this developing story. More than two hours after the collision, the semi’s burned-out shell remained across lanes in the middle of roadway. The Los Angeles County coroner’s office has also responded to the scene, and would identify the individual as well as determine a cause of death.

The Sweet Potato Diet

Please enable Javascript to watch this video

Personal Trailer and Social Media Sensation Michael Morelli joined us live with recipes from his new book “The Sweet Potato Diet – The Super Carb-Cylcling Program to Lose Up to 12 pounds in 2 weeks”. The Sweet Potato Diet is a simple yet powerful 7-day eating schedule that harnesses the power of the sweet potato. For more information, click HERE or follow Michael on social media. It will ignite fat-loss, increase energy, and keep you fuller longer.

ACLU Joins Lawsuit Against LAPD Over ‘Systemic Violation’ of Public Records Law

34.051996
-118.244576 (Credit: Mark Boster / Los Angeles Times)

×
ACLU Joins Lawsuit Against LAPD Over ‘Systemic Violation’ of Public Records Law

LAPD officers in the lobby of the department's downtown headquarters in 2016. “More and more, police departments throughout the United States acknowledge the value of transparency — to increase public trust, promote better law enforcement, and facilitate effective oversight,” the lawsuit stated. “The LAPD’s pattern and practice of violating the [state’s records act] and ignoring requests for public information is not only unlawful, but also out of step.”
Read the full story on LATimes.com. (Credit: Mark Boster / Los Angeles Times)

The American Civil Liberties Union has joined with a journalist, a college professor and an activist to sue the Los Angeles Police Department over what they describe as a “systemic violation” of California’s public records law. The civil complaint documents nearly a dozen examples of such requests, including some that were allegedly made years ago and have yet to be answered. The lawsuit, filed Tuesday, accused the LAPD of failing to comply with the California Public Records Act by not responding to requests within the time frame mandated by the law or by ignoring inquiries altogether. LAPD officers in the lobby of the department's downtown headquarters in 2016.

Man Injured in West Covina Officer-Involved Shooting: Officials

×
Man Injured in West Covina Officer-Involved Shooting: Officials

The 1500 block of Amar Road is shown in a Street View image from Google Maps. Anyone with information about the incident can call 323-890-5500. The incident was reported about 9:45 a.m. 34.031280
-117.914766 Authorities have not said what led up to the shooting and the investigation is ongoing. in the 1500 block of Amar Road, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department officials, who are assisting in the investigation, said. The man was struck by gunfire and was taken to a hospital in unknown condition. The 1500 block of Amar Road is shown in a Street View image from Google Maps. A man was injured in an officer-involved shooting with West Covina Police Tuesday morning, officials said.

San Pedro High School Baseball Player Brutally Beaten in Gang Initiation Is Released From Hospital

×
San Pedro High School Baseball Player Brutally Beaten in Gang Initiation Is Released From Hospital

Evan Jimenez is seen in photos posted on a GoFundMe on April 1, 2017. Evan Jimenez is seen in photos posted on a GoFundMe on April 1, 2017. The teen was heavily sedated and remained unconscious for several days after the attack, but he was finally released from the hospital on April 22, according to Tammy Meyers, a family friend who has been helping raise funds to pay Jimenez’s medical bills. 33.736062
-118.292246

Related stories

San Pedro High School Baseball Player Begins Physical Therapy After Brutal Assault in Alley
‘We Just Hope Justice Is Done’: 2 Sought in Brutal Beating That Left San Pedro High School Baseball Player in ICU
San Pedro High School Baseball Player ‘Beaten Beyond Recognition’ in Assault Evan Jimenez, 15, suffered brain swelling and a broken jaw after two men confronted him in a San Pedro alleyway, according to police. “He’s moving forward every day. A teenage baseball player who was brutally beaten in what police have described as a “gang initiation” in San Pedro last month has been released from the hospital, a family friend said. Always has a smile on his face, so hopefully it just progresses more and more,” she said. Read the full story on LATimes.com. The assailants smashed a liquor bottle against Jimenez’s head and proceeded to pummel him, investigators said.

Water Officials Race to Finish $275 Million in Repairs to Oroville Dam Before Next Rainy System 

Bill Croyle, acting director of the Department of Water Resources, said the deadline is Nov. (Credit: Brian van der Brug / Los Angeles Times)

×
Water Officials Race to Finish $275 Million in Repairs to Oroville Dam Before Next Rainy System 

Reconstruction continues in a race to shore up the emergency spillway at Oroville Dam. 1. Read the full story on LATimes.com. (Credit: Brian van der Brug / Los Angeles Times)

California will be racing to finish $275 million in repairs to the Oroville Dam spillways to prepare for the next rainy system, top water officials told lawmakers on Tuesday. 39.532133
-121.477698

Related stories

State Officials Reopen Damaged Oroville Dam Spillway in Preparation For Rainstorms
State Water Agency Unlikely to Meet Deadlines to Repair Oroville Reservoir, Expert Says
Damaged Oroville Dam Spillway May Need to Be Used by Next Week, State Officials Say Damage to the spillways in February forced thousands to evacuate from the area downstream of the country’s tallest earthen dam. Erosion in the hillside could have caused a concrete wall along the rim of the reservoir to collapse, sending torrents of water into the rivers and towns below. Reconstruction continues in a race to shore up the emergency spillway at Oroville Dam. Croyle surprised some lawmakers by saying the emergency spillway, a hillside adjacent to the dam, worked as intended by releasing water from the reservoir when it overflowed after heavy rains.

Federal Judge in San Francisco Blocks Trump’s Order That Threatens to Cut Off Funding to ‘Sanctuary Cities’

38.907192
-77.036871

Related stories

Sanctuary City Mayors Fire Back at Trump Administration Over Immigration Letters
Justice Dept. He did leave the government some wiggle room, saying that his order does not block the government from enforcing conditions on federal grants nor does it block the government from creating a definition of sanctuary jurisdictions — but the government will not be able to block federal funds from going to those cities as Trump ordered. Immigration and Customs Enforcement released a photo on Feb. “The Counties have demonstrated that they are likely to succeed on the merits of their challenge to Section 9(a) of the Executive Order, that they will suffer irreparable harm absent an injunction, and that the balance of harms and public interest weigh in their favor,” Orrick wrote. U.S. 10, 2017, of its officers arresting an unidentified foreign national the day before. Threats to defund sanctuary cities have been a key piece of Trump’s immigration agenda in the beginning of his administration, and Attorney General Jeff Sessions sent letters last week to nine cities requiring them to verify they are compliant with a piece of US law mentioned in the executive order as a pre-condition of their receiving law enforcement grants they applied for. A federal judge on Tuesday blocked the Trump administration from enforcing a threat to take away funds from sanctuary cities — the latest blow from the federal judiciary to President Donald Trump’s immigration agenda. While Orrick’s ruling does not find the policy unconstitutional, he did find that the counties and cities that challenged the law demonstrated they could face “immediate irreparable harm” if the policy were allowed to be put into place, and that their constitutional challenge could succeed once the case is fully heard. In a ruling delivered Thursday, Judge William H. Immigration and Customs Enforcement released a photo on Feb. 10, 2017, of its officers arresting an unidentified foreign national the day before. Warns California, Other ‘Sanctuary Cities’ in Request for Proof of Cooperation With Immigration Enforcement
Sessions Announces Crackdown on ‘Sanctuary Cities,’ States That Don’t Comply With Federal Immigration Laws ×
Federal Judge Blocks Trump’s Order That Threatens to Cut Off Funding to ‘Sanctuary Cities’

U.S. In granting a nationwide injunction, Orrick blocked the government from enforcing a key portion of Trump’s January executive order on immigration, which ordered the Department of Homeland Security and Justice Department to block cities who do not cooperate with federal immigration enforcement from receiving federal funds. That pre-condition was actually put in place by the Obama administration, and mayors have said that piece of law is something they actually comply with that law, which requires communication of citizenship status of individuals, even if they don’t cooperate with other requests from federal immigration law enforcement. Orrick sided with Santa Clara, the city of San San Francisco and other cities, who argued that a threat to take away federal funds from cities that do not cooperate with some federal immigration enforcement could be unconstitutional.

2-Year-Old Dies in ‘Tragic Accident’ After Being Hit by Vehicle in South L.A.: Police

A toddler was fatally hit by a car in South Los Angeles on April 24, 2017. KTLA’s Jennifer Thang contributed to this story. on Monday morning, in what one police official described as a “tragic accident.”
Few details were immediately provided about the fatal crash, which occurred in the 1100 block of East 49th Street just before 10 a.m., according to an alert from the Los Angeles Fire Department. Sky5 aerial video over the scene showed that the victim appeared to have been hit in the driveway of a home. (Credit: KTLA)

×
2-Year-Old Dies in ‘Tragic Accident’ After Being Hit by Vehicle in South L.A.: Police

A toddler was fatally hit by a car in South Los Angeles on April 24, 2017. (Credit: KTLA)

A toddler died after being struck by a car in the Central-Alameda neighborhood of South L.A. A gender and name were not immediately known. 33.998932
-118.256482 Los Angeles Police Department Officer Liliana Preciado told KTLA that the driver of the car that hit the child remained at the scene, and the crash was not being investigated as a hit-and-run. The victim was 2 years old, according to the Fire Department. Times, Preciado called the incident a “tragic accident.”
No other details were immediately available. In an interview with the L.A. A white sheet was covering the front of a maroon-colored pickup in the driveway, though it was unclear if that was the vehicle that struck the child.

Spring Workout Looks With Lorna Jane Activewear

For more information, you can go to her website or follow them on social media. Please enable Javascript to watch this video

The founder of Lorna Jane Activewear Lorna Jane Clarkson joined us live with some fabulous spring workout looks to get you motivated to get fit.

Kym Whitley and Rex Lee Talk Comedy On and Off Camera for “Young & Hungry”

Please enable Javascript to watch this video

The very funny Kym Whitley and Rex Lee sat down to discuss pranking each other on and off camera for Freeform’s hit series “Young & Hungry.”
Sam also congratulates Whitley on receiving a Daytime Emmy Nomination for “The Bay.”
Catch Season 5 of “Young & Hungry” Mondays at 8pm on Freeform. This segment aired on the KTLA 5 Morning News on Monday, April 24, 2017.

‘Happy Days’ Star Erin Moran Likely Died From Complications of Stage 4 Cancer, Officials Say

Moran had been the subject of reports that she and her husband were living in a trailer in Indiana since losing her home to foreclosure in California. It was set in 1950s Milwaukee and was a big hit with a catchy theme song and memorable characters such as The Fonz, played by Henry Winkler. “Slowly but surely it’s coming around, and…bringing us back, people that have been in the business all our lives and doing the shows we did.”

Related stories

Actress Erin Moran, Best Known as Joanie on ‘Happy Days,’ Dead at 56 Standard toxicology tests were performed and the results are pending, the statement said, but no illegal narcotics were found at Moran’s residence. In 2008, she appeared on VH1’s reality show “Celebrity Fit Club.”
Moran acknowledged having difficulties finding roles in an interview with producer James Vallo, with whom she worked on “Not Another B Movie,” which IMDB lists as her final film credit. Moran played the same character in the early 1980s in “Joanie Loves Chachi,” a short-lived spinoff with her “Happy Days” co-star Scott Baio continuing his role as Chachi Arcola. Moran was best-known for her role as Joanie Cunningham, the younger sister of Richie Cunningham, who was played by Ron Howard, a child actor who is now a famed director. Moran likely succumbed to complications of Stage 4 cancer,” the statement said. “Such sad sad news … I’ll always choose to remember you on our show making scenes better, getting laughs and lighting up TV screens,” Howard wrote on Twitter. “Then the other shows they do have going on, they just kind of want to stay in [one] type of casting area.”
She was hopeful, however. The show aired from 1974 to 1984. While other cast members continued to act or direct, acting roles became scarce for Moran. “There is so much reality [television],” she said. Former “Happy Days” child star Erin Moran, 56, likely died from complications of Stage 4 cancer, the Harrison County (Indiana) Sheriff’s Department and medical examiner said Monday in a joint statement. In 2012, Moran was one of the “Happy Days” actors who won money in a settlement with CBS over merchandising payments. (Credit: Frazer Harrison/Getty Images)
Moran was found dead in her home in New Salisbury on Saturday, authorities said. Actress Erin Moran arrives at the Academy Of Television Arts & Sciences’ ‘Father’s Day Salute To TV Dads’ on June 18, 2009 in North Hollywood, California. “A subsequent autopsy revealed that Mrs.

Man Convicted of Starting Massive Da Vinci Fire in Downtown L.A. Sentenced to 15 Years in Prison: DA’s Office

Flames spread for a whole city block, nearly a million square feet, officials said. (Credit: ROBYN BECK/AFP/Getty Images)

Related stories

Man Suspected in Massive Da Vinci Apartments Fire Ordered to Stand Trial
Man Accused of Da Vinci Apartments Arson Was Angry About Police Killings of African Americans, Witnesses Say
Man Charged With Arson in Massive Da Vinci Apartment Fire Dawud Abdulwali, pictured here at his preliminary hearing, is accused of starting the December 2014 Da Vinci apartment fire in downtown L.A. A freeway sign is mangled in the aftermath of a huge fire in downtown Los Angeles on Dec. Dawud Abdulwali — who prosecutors allege set the fire in anger over fatal police shootings of African Americans in Ferguson, Mo., and other cities — pleaded no contest to one count of arson and admitted to using an accelerant to start the blaze, according to a statement issued by the Los Angeles County district attorney’s office. (Credit: Irfan Khan / Los Angeles Times)
A man charged with setting a roaring blaze at a Los Angeles apartment complex that caused millions of dollars in damage, melted freeway signs and shrouded downtown in smoke, was sentenced to 15 years in prison on Monday, prosecutors said. In earlier court hearings, several people who knew Abdulwali, 57, testified that the blaze was a response to the fatal shooting of Michael Brown by a Ferguson police officer. that caused millions of dollars in damage. Brown’s death touched off protests across the country and jump-started a national conversation about police use-of-force against minorities. Read the full story on LATimes.com. 8, 2014. No one was injured in the fire, which destroyed a half-built structure at the apartment complex and shattered windows at the nearby headquarters of the city’s Department of Water and Power.